Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dorothy Provine, R. I. P.

Dorothy Provine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Dorothy Provine (January 20, 1935�– April 25, 2010) was an American singer, dancer, actress and comedienne.

Provine was born in Deadwood, South Dakota. She appeared in many professional and amateur stage productions while attending the University of Washington. In Hollywood, she starred in The Bonnie Parker Story (1958) and The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock (1959), which was Lou Costello's last screen appearance.

She guest starred on the television series Man Without a Gun, starring Rex Reason. Provine starred in two series: The Alaskans with Roger Moore (1959–60) and The Roaring Twenties (1960–1962), both on ABC. In Roaring Twenties, she played the beautiful singer Pinky Pinkham."

Update: Nice tribute at Inner Toob.

7 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

She was all over TV when I was a teenager. Did a lot of the Warner Brothers show I loved--Bronco and 77 Sunset (except Kookie--always hated him)--and that crazy short-lived adventure spoof with Roger Moore The Alaskans. One of the obits today talks about her career as a sex bomb. I always thought she was cute and appealing but a sex bomb? Interesting that she just got marrried, gave up Hwood and lived on an island for forty-some years with her husband. Smart lady.

Cap'n Bob said...

I loved her as Pinky and always considered her a lovely, talented woman.

Cap'n Bob said...

She lived in Bremerton? I lived there when I moved to Washington in 1978. Wish I'd met up with her.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I sure remember her as Pinky Pinkham. Always a little bit like Doris Day on the small screen.

Nik Morton said...

Yes, I remember her in the Roaring Twenties; that's virtually all I remember about the series - her character, Pinky. A the time, she was one of my pinups, but not as a sex bomb! Yes, Ed, as you say, the smart lady did the sensible thing.

Gar Haywood said...

She was great (and very sexy) in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD.

Snidely Whiplash said...

Little before my time, she actually lived on Bainbridge Island, I think she just spent a short time at a hospice in Bremerton. Wish I could find a recent picture, good chance we've met, she lived pretty close.