Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Remembrance of Things Past

Sometimes I'm amused by how my past intrudes on the present. This morning I was thinking about a couple of things I need to do today, and from somewhere in my head a voice said, "So let it be written, so let it be done."

Yul Brynner, of course, in The Ten Commandments. I haven't see that movie since it first hit the big screen, but the line's been lurking in my brain ever since. When I was a kid, a lot of us thought that was just the thing to say. For weeks, whenever anybody asked us to do something or other, we'd all say, "So let it be written, so let it be done." Were we cool, or what? Great days, great days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? We watch that classic every year around Passover/Easter.

"Oh Moses, Moses, you stubborn, splendid adorable fool."

So many great lines.

Jeff

Evan Lewis said...

You should get yourself one of those cool Pharaoh hats, too.

Deb said...

I always felt sorry for--who was it who played Moses' wife? I want to say Yvonne de Carlo--it was so obvious that Moses only wanted Ann Baxter.

Anonymous said...

Lately I find myself using: "Battle speed!... Attack speed!... Ramming speed!" (Ben-Hur)

Bill Khemski

Richard Robinson said...

Gee, Bill, that sounds more like a naval film than Ben Hur.

Deb said...

Don't forget the great SCTV parody: Water-skiing speed!

Anonymous said...

It was Yvonne De Carlo, Deb.

But my favorite scenery chewers were Edward G. Robinson as Dathan ("Yeah. Build the Golden Calf, you guys.") and Anne Baxter as Neffertiri (the above-mentioned quote, among many others).

The single funniest thing in the history of SNL was when Billy Crystal mimicked our own yearly quotes by doing Eddie G. ("Where's your Moses now?").

Jeff