Saturday, December 05, 2009

The 100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME

Full List - The 100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME - TIME: "'First, I apologize. I know I left some of your favorite shows off this list. How do I know that? Because I left some of my favorite shows off this list. The happy and unfortunate fact is that there are far more than 100 great shows, and more created every year. Lists are incredibly important: they are how we define what matters to us, what we want entertainment and art to do, what we expect of our culture.'
—TIME TV critic James Poniewozik"

3 comments:

James Reasoner said...

I'd agree on about 20 of them. The others were either not good enough, period, or not good enough for long enough to make such a list. (Which means, of course, nothing more than I didn't like the other shows as much as the guy who made the list did.)

Todd Mason said...

"TV should be smart, but TV should also be dumb."

No. Not true of tv, not true of tv criticism, and not true of tv critics.

It's a almost good list, though it includes at least one of the worst tv shows thus far, and certainly one of the most overrated. Like James, I'd call him wrong at least half the time, but there are choices I wouldn't've immediately thought of (SPORTSCENTER) that might well deserve consideration (ahead of WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS? Well, maybe so, yes.).

Cap'n Bob said...

Toss out Roseanne, Oprah, and All in the Family and I can live with the rest. Glad too see he had sense enough to include Dragnet and Leave It to Beaver.