Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Charlie Bartlett

I wouldn't have heard of this one if James Reasoner hadn't mentioned it on his blog. Since he and I have similar tastes now and then, and since I've mentioned before that I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories, I thought I'd take a look. I'm glad I did because I really liked the movie, which no one gave to me and which I rented with my own money.

I don't have much to add to what James said other than that Robert Downey, Jr., does a pretty brave scene that has to do with addiction, and I won't say any more about that. You'll know what I mean if you watch the film. The cast is uniformly good, and while I hadn't heard of any of them other than Downey, I expect I'll be seeing them in a lot of movies down the line. They've all young, and I think they'll be around for a while.

If you're in the mood for something a lot different from the usual teen movie (sort of in the same way that Adventureland was), don't pass this one by.

5 comments:

Todd Mason said...

Hope Davis has a solid body of work behind her, and most of her films are interesting enough, at least. Kat Dennings I've seen only in NICK AND NORA'S INFINITE PLAYLIST, where she played the kind of character I would've been (and, for that matter, was) strongly attracted to when I was her age, some decades ago...so, the casting would've augured well.

Todd Mason said...

I correct myself: Ms. Dennings has been busy, and I remember her now from her recurring role on ER, and her role in THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN.

James Reasoner said...

I never got around to blogging about it, but I watched ADVENTURELAND, too, and thought it was very good. Definitely the same sort of film as CHARLIE BARTLETT.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I liked that kid when he was on that SHOWTIME series with Hank Azaria that I can never remember the name of. On my list.

Todd Mason said...

(HUFF)