Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bouchercon 1980

This was the first Bouchercon I attended. It was held in Washington, D. C. The guest of honor was Gregory Mcdonald, but I remember that Brian Garfield and James Grady were there as well. That was about it for the Big Names. I wish I had the program, but I believe I've given it to Texas A&M. As I recall, the programming was sparse. A panel or two in the morning and the same in the afternoon. Things have certainly changed, but some of the same people I hung out with in 1980 will be in Indianapolis this week. We've been meeting at Bouchercons for 30 years now, and it's become almost like a family reunion. While I'm looking forward to cruising the dealers' room and seeing a few panels, it's the friends that make the trip worthwhile. Maybe I'll even make some new friends this weekend. That's what Bouchercon is really about for me.

10 comments:

Richard Robinson said...

Say "Hi" to the gang when you're in the DAPA room.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Texas no longer leads the way:

Oregon man get probation for stabbing ex's fish

PORTLAND, Ore. - A Portland man who attacked his ex-girlfriend and impaled her pet fish this summer has been sentenced to two years probation, a psychological evaluation and community service.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Texas has a tough time keeping up sometimes.

Cap'n Bob said...

Bill DeAndrea was a large presence at DC, no pun intended. Bob Randisi was there, I think. Ann Byerly made her only appearance.

Unknown said...

You're right, Cap'n. And I should have known you'd remember Ann Byerly.

Unknown said...

But, does she remember The Cap'n?

RJR said...

Yes, I was there, as was Bill DeAndea and Chris Steinbrunner. The programming was in the Press Club, I think, with all of us spread out over five hotels.
BCon IV in Bostom, in 1973, was my first.

RJR

Todd Mason said...

The only slightly nervous mid-September 2001 DC/Arlington VA BoucherCon, A Capital Murder, has been my one and only so far. Met a gentleman named Bill, and a only slightly exasperated Joe R., and a very gracious Ed Hoch (I think I managed to add to the exasperation only of Ron Goulart...had too many questions about older work, but realized the justice in his request that I let some others have the floor).

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Wooster, Bill. And the trip to the bookstore in Ellen's car. And dinner where she (Mrs. Nehr) demanded separate checks for a party of 30.

*sigh*

Good times.

See you in Indy.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

My first Bouchercon, by the way, was New York in 1977. But I met most of the apa people in Chicago in '78.

Jeff