Friday, May 15, 2009

RocknRolla

I don't know about anybody else, but I like Guy Ritchie's gangster films.  They're as stylized as the American gangster films of the '30s, and just as entertaining, at least to me.  

Like the others I've seen, RocknRolla has plenty of coincidence, a lot of characters, a complicated plot, some heavy violence, and quite a few laughs.  The plots have to do with robberies, Russian gangsters, a stolen painting, drug dealers, and other things.  Everybody's working on some kind of scam, and all of them intersect in ways that I find surprising and (almost) logical.  The cast is uniformly fine.

There's at least one big loose end left dangling at the end, but we're promised that most of the cast will be returning in a sequel called The Real RocknRolla.  I hope Ritchie will go ahead and make it.  I'm waiting.

4 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Never heard of this one. Was it straight to DVD here?

norby said...

It was in the theaters briefly Patti, didn't do as well here as it did in the UK. I couldn't get into it for some reason.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Norby.

Bruce said...

Patti it could easily have been called Lock Stock and Two smoking Barrells part 3. I mean how many movies is he going to use the valuble item being passed around and no one has a clue.

Still it was enjoyable and it was nice to see Stringer Bell from The Wire use his real accent.