Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hank Locklin, R. I. P.

Hank Locklin, 91, Country Singer With a Piercing Tenor, Is Dead - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com: "Hank Locklin, a singer who first applied his searching, crystal-clear tenor voice to honky-tonk country music, then helped shape the lusher, more refined Nashville sound of the 1950s and ’60s, died on Sunday at his home in Brewton, Ala. He was 91.

His son Hank Adam Locklin announced the death.

When the elder Hank Locklin sang a tear-jerker like “Danny Boy,” his piercing, sorrowful voice could make people shiver. The Birmingham News in 2001 called that voice “a trembling hillbilly tenor,” adding that it “rises and falls like some lonely backwoods highway in the great by and by.”"

Thanks to Jeff Meyerson for the link.

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I was reading your post on the passing of Jimmy Boyd and remarked to myself: "It's so sad to see good people go." But when I scrolled down to read of Hank Locklin's death, it really hit me hard. R.I.P., Hank.

Unknown said...

Definitely one of the greats.