Monday, February 02, 2009

Looks Like I Got out of the Job Market Just in Time

Is a GED More Valuable Than a PhD? | Corporate Accountability and WorkPlace | AlterNet: "For six years, Rebekah slaved at Boston University for her PhD in American Studies. Her plan: work in New York as a museum curator. She pictured chatty, engrossing interviews with like-minded creative types. “Everyone would be so pleased” with her PhD, she thought. Yet eight months after graduating, Rebekah is unemployed and considering a gig at a public library that requires only a GED."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got a Ph.D. - I should work on my GED in the current economy.
Gary Severance - Twitter

Anonymous said...

I'm currently working on a Masters in English (no PhD for me, I think that this will be enough education), and I have to say that this gives me some pause.

Peter Rozovsky said...

You are committing the worst sin one can commit in American politco-corporate life: You are failing to be optimistic.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
“Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home”
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

txmom2jami said...

I'm a homeschooling parent and it seems there is a trend toward apprenticeships ... when a student discovers a strong interest in a field that does not necessarily require a college degree, it seems such a waste of time and money to get a piece of paper that is no guarantee of employment. I've also seen a trend for students to become proficient in more than one area -- flexibility is key considering how fields of employment can come and go with the economy.

I think it might not be a bad idea, either, for those coming up to become more knowledgeable about more "antiquated" things like "Victory Gardens" ... although now they might be called "Survival Gardens" ... If you can grow your dinner, or at least supplement what you buy with your GED paycheck, it might make things a little less uncomfortable during the lean times!