Thursday, January 01, 2009

Mother of Mercy, Could This Be the End of the Pop Culture Magazine?

New York Times sued over Boston.com's linking practice | Digital Media - CNET News: "A publisher of mostly small, local newspapers has sued the New York Times Co. over its aggregation of news headlines on Boston.com, challenging the practice many sites use of linking to other sources.

In its lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts on Monday, Fairport, N.Y.-based GateHouse Media, which publishes more than 100 papers in Massachusetts, accuses the Times of violating copyright by allowing its Boston Globe online unit to copy verbatim the headlines and first sentences from articles published on sites owned by GateHouse, including the Newton Tab."

2 comments:

Mary Ann Melton said...

I was at an event a couple of years ago where an attorney vigorously spoke out against using links without permission - calling it plagiarism. It is such a common practice - and . . . it seems to me that when you put the link in, it would drive traffic to your site which I think would be positive. I hope I manage to see how this case plays out . . . I personally like links because it helps me see and read things that I might otherwise miss.

JD Rhoades said...

Ridiculous. "headlines and first sentences?" It's clearly fair use.