Monday, December 29, 2008

WALL *E

A love story (with robots), a dandy science fiction yarn, lots of laughs, plenty of heart, and great animation. All in the same movie. I had a great time watching it.

It's hundreds of years in the future. WALL *E is essentially a trash compactor, the last of his kind. He mashes metal into cubes and stacks the cubes, day after day. But there's more. He's developed, or has always had, consciousness. He saves certain things (a lighter, a Rubik's cube, and so on). He has a companion (a cockroach). One day a spaceship delivers EVE, a robot looking for signs of plant life. WALL *E falls for her, and he has the only living plant on Earth. After that, things get complicated, with chase scenes, rogue robots, a HAL counterpart (voiced by Sigourney Weaver), and more.

I should mention that there's very little dialog, but even if there were less, you'd have no trouble at all following things. Steve Stilwell told me I should see this on the big screen. I'm sorry I didn't, but I'm glad I finally saw it.

8 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

I enjoyed this one as well after much urging from friends and family. A surprise as, for some reason, I watch very few animated movies.

Stephen D. Rogers said...

I so loved the buddy element of my favorite Pixar movies (Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc) that I almost passed on this. A gem. (Although I'm not sure why they included a live action person.)

Anonymous said...

I've got a weird question, about the only thing you might expect to come from me. I had my Russian relatives over recently - in laws and such spatter - and they had a question about a movie they saw on the way over. When they started it with, "Have you seen a science ficiton movie about robots whose only job is to pick up fat people who can't get up once they've fallen down," I thought the Communist, Putin-kissing, mother&*@#*&* were taking a jab at me. Yeah, I've put on a few pounds over the holidays, okay? But I've worked my bench press up to 3sets of 8 with 200 lbs. Yeah, okay, my grandmother could do that, too. But anyway, I'm a fat dude with an attitude and I've just got one question:

What movie has robots in it picking up fat people, and why isn't there a protect-the-fat-people organization out there somewhere?

I guess that was two questions.

Best,
Lawrence

Unknown said...

This is most likely that movie. And this (http://www.size-acceptance.org/) is that organization.

Unknown said...

Glad you finally saw it, and liked it, but next time pay more attention to what I tell you. I can be trusted.

s

Unknown said...

About movies, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I'm hitting the gym today for sure. :)

Lawrence

bamgosoocom said...


This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work

Try to check my blog: 풀싸롱
(jk)