Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008's Banned Words List

Mich. University Puts Out Banned Words List - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit: "While the economy is weak, the state of the nation's cliche-busting brigade is strong. And the aggrieved have submitted their nominations to Lake Superior State University, which released its annual List of Words to Be Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness.

The school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula released its 34th version Tuesday containing 15 entries selected from about 5,000 nominations."

5 comments:

lucylocket said...

My personal choice for banning is the word "texting" and using the word "text" as a verb. Using it should be a criminal offense.

Unknown said...

Good luck. I'm still fighting the use of "contact" as a verb.

Cap'n Bob said...

"I'm like" for "I said."
"Cool."
"Absolutely" for "yes."

Anonymous said...

Contact, yes. Impact, no. I'd never heard staycation before. In Québec there's a nice expression for a very local holiday destination: Balconville. You've probably figured out that "balcon" means balcony.

bamgosoocom said...



Hey I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading
through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the superb work!

Review my page please: 출장안마
(jk)