Friday, November 28, 2008

Kung Fu Panda

Okay, I'll admit it. I enjoyed this movie. Sure, it has the same plot as every sports movie ever made, from The Bad News Bears to Dodgeball, but you gotta go with what works. The fat panda gets chosen as the next kung fu savior, so he has to become the greatest martial arts expert every known in 24 hours (sort of like Bob the Nailer in The 47th Samurai; apparently this, too, is a plot staple, at least in samurai movies). If he doesn't, then the evil villain kung fu guy will destroy the village and maybe the world. Jack Black voices the panda, and he's good, but Dustin Hoffman, as the kung fu master, steals the show.

6 comments:

Frank Denton said...

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello, Bill. We just returned home from two months of travel. And immediately got colds and sore throats, both of us. Hope you and Judy are well and recovering from Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear from you, Frank. Take care of those colds!

Charles Gramlich said...

I haven't seen this one and wasn't sure I'd like it, but given your recommendation I might give it a try.

Graham Powell said...

This movie was more fun than it had any right to be. You're right about Dustin Hoffman - he was great. And it gives hope to those of us with large guts - someday our flab could save the world!

Neil said...

Good movie. But the best part, I thought, was the really cool retro animation right at the beginning in the Panda's dream. I kinda wish the whole movie had been drawn like that. Plus, that section was really funny.

Anonymous said...

This movie is great-my roommate and laughed like crazy through the whole thing.