Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hold Tight -- Harlan Coben

I'm thinking Harlan Coben has created his own sub-genre: Suburban Noir. All those nice houses. All those nice people. Doomed, every one of them. At least that's the way it's seemed in Coben's most recent novels. In this one, a couple of things trigger off the chain of events: a kid's suicide and a teacher's offhand but cruel remark about a student. No need to say much more about the plot because that's the main thing the book has going for it, and I don't want to spoil things. Sure it's a goofy plot, but that's what the willing suspension of disbelief comes in. It'll help you swallow a couple of pretty large coincidences, too.

Hester Crimstein, from the Myron Bolitar novels, has a nice part in this one, too. If I ever commit a crime, I want to call Hester right off the bat. Little Pocahontas gets a mention, too, but nothing more than that. There aren't a lot of laughs to be had.

Since the days when he was writing the Myron Bolitar books, Harlan Coben has come a long way as far as sales. He's probably one of the best-selling writers around by now, with big sales in plenty of foreign countries as well as the U.S. More power to him.


Elizabeth Foxwell said...

Au contraire, Bill. Jan Burke dubbed Charlotte Armstrong's work suburban noir, and Armstrong comes quite a bit before Harlan.

Bill Crider said...

I should have known!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, they sell well but I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers the Myron books.


Bill Crider said...

I would be another one.