Saturday, March 01, 2008

She's Leaving Home

Okay, if you're going to get technical about it, our daughter, Angela, left home 20 years ago when she started college. But she's never lived more than a few hours away, and after college she moved to Houston, a 45-minute drive. Now, however, things have changed. After 39 years of the single life, she's getting married in September. To a guy named Tom, who lives in San Francisco.

So she applied for, and got, a job in San Jose. It's with the same government agency she works for now, but it's a promotion, with a fat raise. We're very happy for her.

But we're sad too. Angela's leaving today for San Francisco, which is a long way from Alvin, Texas. This is especially tough on Judy, who's just been through a long siege of chemotherapy and whose mother is in a local nursing home, knockin' on heaven's door. Angela and Tom came to see her last night, knowing that they'd never see her again, not alive.

Ever since last June, Judy and I have been on an emotional roller-coaster, and the ride's not over. Life. It's what happens when you're making other plans, as a famous philosopher once said.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just seems like yesterday when Angela was a little girl, and the same with our kids. I know how you feel, since you and I both have always thought being a parent was our most important and toughest job. My daughter is home half the time, or nearby in her condo, and the rest of the time she's in Nashville. I miss her when she's gone. My son and his wife live nearby, and when Kasey is home, she's no more than ten minutes away. Her fiance is a great guy, as my son's wife is a great catch, but they are always your little boy and girl and when they leave it sucks. But, you do have more hot water. Joe

Randy Johnson said...

Yes, life can be a mixed blessing. But you wish the best for your children and you just have to ride with it.

Benjie said...

Congrats to Angela on all the good news. Mixed blessings, I know, to you and Judy, but you can sure be proud. And they do make a handsome couple.

Anonymous said...

I know this is hard, but tell Judy that you'll have Taylor check on Angela sometimes. That should make her feel better.

But seriously folks, Joe's piece says it all and a hell of a lot better than I could.

stilwell

Unknown said...

Taylor checking on her? Better than you, I guess. And Joe has it nailed.

Angie Poole said...

Dr. Crider, hang in there. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

BTW, Angela's BEAUTIFUL. Do you realize the last time I saw her was 1986? Alan, too. Post a picture of him sometime.

Unknown said...

You ask, I deliver.

Cap'n Bob said...

That's got to be tough, Bill. I hope you have unlimited free long distance on your phone. And you're kidding about Angela being 39, aren't you? She looks 20, and is lovely.

BTW, the first place I lived in California was San Jose. I thought it was pretty dull.

Unknown said...

I suspect San Jose is still dull. But Angela will liven it up.