Sunday, March 02, 2008

Conan and the Songs of the Dead -- Joe Lansdale and Timothy Truman

Since this was Joe Lansdale's take on Conan, with artwork by Timothy Truman, I was naturally expecting a new vision of the barbarian, with cuddly kitty cats, pink unicorns, maybe some pocket dragons.

Hahahaha! Just kidding. I was expecting violence, gore, sex, and some humor. I got it all. Heads roll (I didn't bother to count, but then I didn't bother to count the number of synonyms for "pig's dick," either), Conan gets it on with a djinn, there are battles galore (with monsters, humans, living dead, etc.), there's a quest, there's more.

Great artwork, fine storytelling, laughs, blood, sex. If that's not what you're looking for, Dark Horse has some excellent Little Lulu reprints you'd like. (Actually I like Little Lulu a lot, but that's another story.)

No comments: