Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Another One

Author admits acclaimed memoir is fantasy - International Herald Tribune: "In 'Love and Consequences,' a critically acclaimed memoir published last week, Margaret B. Jones wrote about her life as a half-white, half-Native American girl growing up in South-Central Los Angeles as a foster child among gang-bangers, running drugs for the Bloods.

The problem is that none of it is true.

Margaret B. Jones is a pseudonym for Margaret Seltzer, who is all white and grew up in the well-to-do Sherman Oaks section of Los Angeles, in the San Fernando Valley, with her biological family. She graduated from the Campbell Hall School, a private Episcopal day school in the North Hollywood neighborhood. She has never lived with a foster family, nor did she run drugs for any gang members. Nor did she graduate from the University of Oregon, as she had claimed."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That received a starred review in Booklist. I guess I will not order it after all. I suppose I could shelve it in Fiction though.

Victor Gischler said...

I mentioned that GO-GO GIRLS OF THE APOCALYPSE was a memoir, didn't I?

VG

Anonymous said...

You mean I missed an apocalypse? I watched all that Buffy for nothing?

Anonymous said...

A lot of these memoirs are fiction. Remember SLEEPERS. There was some question about it, though i don't remember what the final conclusion was, but it didn't look good.

Unknown said...

Why don't people sell these books as novels?