Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Once Again, Texas Wants to Lead the Way

STLtoday.com - News: "SAN MARCOS, Texas (AP) -- Mike Guzman and thousands of other students say the best way to prevent campus bloodshed is more guns.

Guzman, an economics major at Texas State University-San Marcos, is among 8,000 students nationwide who have joined the nonpartisan Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, arguing that students and faculty already licensed to carry concealed weapons should be allowed to pack heat along with their textbooks.

'It's the basic right of self defense,' said Guzman, a 23-year-old former Marine. 'Here on campus, we don't have that right, that right of self defense.'"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have that right if you're convicted of a felony, either. Which I think, in 2007, includes, now, overdue library books, failing to yield, swerving around decending railway gates, any form of racial profiling, and calling Old Mister Geezer, "old."

Unknown said...

Well, I agree with that last one.

Cap'n Bob said...

A few good old boys at Virginia Tech could have nipped that shooter in the bud. I'm for it.

PS: Keep an eye on Gomer, Bill. He sounds like he wants to walk on your lawn without punishment.

Anonymous said...

I'm a mischief maker. But I'm not a fool.

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's an interesting mindset, that of the Big L Libertarian, that more guns make for a safer and more polite society. Yeesh -- ain't my world view, Bill.

Unknown said...

Or mine.

Anonymous said...

The pen is mightier than the sword. But bein' a gunner is more funner.

Anonymous said...

The entire educational system is a cult anyway, well worth avoiding, so if everyone in school was armed, probably nobody would show up. IQ's would rise and wisdom would flourish: all arms would be beaten into plowshares and an enlightned, pastoral, benevolent society would emerge. I'm in. I'll take a B.A.R. , please.

Brent McKee said...

The token Canadian speaking up here and wondering what is up with you Americans and the *freakin'* handguns?! I can cite comparative figures between the US and Canada - including nuts shooting up college campuses (Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, 1989 - the only one, ever).

Anonymous said...

When the Hordes of The Prophet Who Never Prophesied get the word to attack, they're gonna have a problem in America. Probly not so much in Canada.

Cap'n Bob said...

Who's talking polite? As for safer, I prefer to be responsible for my own safety by having the right to carry a gun (which I do, BTW) than hope a cop will come along and save me from destruction. Note I'm not in favor of everyone being armed, just us law-abiding types.