Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Duke Lives!














Long article with a John Wayne Time-Line at the end. Check it out.


Shadow of the Shootist-Arts & Entertainment-Film-TimesOnline: "Later this month, on May 26, it will be the 100th anniversary of John Wayne’s birth. Paramount Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Wayne’s own production company, Batjac, will mark the occasion by releasing special collector’s-edition DVDs of four classic Wayne movies long out of circulation and much sought by devotees of the Duke: Island in the Sky (1953), Hondo (1953), The High and the Mighty (1954) and McLintock! (1963)."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article; the Duke has his detractors, but there’s something about the guy I’ve always liked.

Unknown said...

Me, too.

Anonymous said...

I just watched Hondo a couple months ago on DVD. Wayne movies used to be on television on all the time, not so much now. Hondo was one of his pictures that I'd see bits and pieces of but viewing the DVD was the first time I saw it all the way through.

Unknown said...

I saw it in 3-D on TV years ago. Don't know if it's been on since that special showing.

Anonymous said...

I saw Hondo a couple of weeks ago on Turner Classic Movies; they're showing it again on Wednesday, May 23 at 11:45 am Central.

Unknown said...

I'll check it out. I guess it's not in 3-D.

Brent McKee said...

Turner Classic Movies (my favourite cable channel just for the fact that it exists) has a huge list of John Wayne films coming up in the last week of May to commemorate his centenary.

The article you refer to is from The Times of London and probably refers to a DVD Region 2 release of the movies, since they are all readily available in North America and have been for a couple of years.

Unknown said...

Well, the Duke lives in Britain!

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the 3-D parts in Hondo. It was odd how they were just randomly stuck in there during a couple fight scenes. I now recall how they had to haul those huge 3-D cameras around the desert during filming.