Monday, May 28, 2007

Bruno Fischer

Back when I was helping out Billy Lee with Paperback Quarterly, one of the first writers I interviewed (we did it by mail in those days) was Bruno Fischer. Like the others I got in touch with, he was extremely gracious and generous with his time, happy to help us out for no pay do an interview for a zine with barely any circulation. Ed Lynskey has a new article on his work at Al Guthrie's Noir Originals. Check it out. And don't miss Fischer's letter to Ron Goulart in Cheap Thrills, either.


Anonymous said...

Books mean different things to different people for different reasons. In my case, as I wrote Ed Lynskey this morning, Fischer's The EVIL DAYS has stayed with me for nearly thirty-five years because a) I read it during the shaky time I was seeing the world without liqour or drugs in twenty years b) because of the way Fischer portrays the "quiet desperation" of the narrator, a decent man trapped in a job that doesn't pay enough with a wife who wants more than he can give in terms of creature comforts (and she's not unreasonable; Fischer is fair to her) and a sense that his life has already been lived and he's just coasting to the grave and c) the jealousy and distrust the mcguffin of the story inspires in him--and his wife's possible connection to the dead man. Again, maybe the simple reason that I was without the armor of my drugs to protect me....maybe that made me particularly sensitive to what Fischer was saying in the book. But I tell you I've read it three or four times since and it holds up extremely well. For me, it's his masterpiece. And what a hell of a great way to end a long career, your best book last. Ed Gorman

Bill Crider said...

I have that Ballantine reprint, which I've read a couple of times. A fine book.