Tuesday, November 28, 2006

PKD, Great American Writer

Hat tip to Ed Gorman.

mediabistro.com: GalleyCat: "Buried at the tail end of Mark Sarvas's interview with Jonathan Lethem comes news of one project on the novelist's plate: 'I'm helping preside over the utter and irreversible canonization of one of my (formerly outsider) heroes, Philip K. Dick: I'm writing endnotes for The Library of America, which is doing a volume of four of his novels from the sixties, which I also helped select.' Unless I'm overlooking somebody, that would make Dick the Library's first science fiction writer—unless you count H.P. Lovecraft, but I'm filing him under fantasy/horror.

So which novels are they? Sure, we could always email Lethem and ask, but it's much more fun to guess! Three of the four slots are no-brainers: The Man in the High Castle, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, and Ubik. But that fourth...there's a few good candidates, but I'm going to go with The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. And then I'm going to cross my fingers that this all works out, so that the Library will then go back and publish an omnibus edition of the VALIS trilogy, the three mind-blowing novels Dick wrote at the end of his career."

5 comments:

Graham Powell said...

My favorite not-listed 60s-era PKD: MARTIAN TIME SLIP. Very underrated, you almost never see it mentioned among his classics.

My favorite overall is A SCANNER DARKLY.

Unknown said...

I like Martian Time-Slip a lot. I used to teach it now and then in a 20th Century Fiction class.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be surprised if TIME-SLIP or DARKLY doesn't supplant SHEEP, despite the films.

Anonymous said...

I already knew about Lethem's love for Dick (Capital D, people!) from his essay in The Disappointment Artist & Other Essays.

Juri said...

You've already mentioned my favourites:

Ubik
Martian Time-Slip
A Scanner Darkly