Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Calibre -- Ken Bruen


Brant's back. That might be all you need to hear if you're a fan, like me. Naturally, however, I have a little more to say.

I like to think of Ken Bruen's books about the Southeast London police squad as his homage to the 87th Precinct books of Ed McBain, books much admired by Inspector Brant. Sort of the 87th Precinct on acid. Brant wants to write a book. The fact that he can't write doesn't bother him at all, and before long he's on the way to becoming a literary sensation. A serial killer, obsessed with Jim Thompson's novels, particuarly The Killer inside Me, is on the loose, offing people with bad manners. Falls' love life is in shambles (so what's new?). And the various other cops are screwing up in various other ways. In this series no crime ever gets solved by solid policework. It's luck, brutality, and snitches. That is, it's those things when the crimes are solved at all. It's impossible to describe a Bruen book. This one's violent, funny, poetic, and just plain fun to read. When it ends, you'll be eager to know what's next for Brant and the whole gang. Check it out.

10 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

Great minds think alike..I once described "Blitz" as "the 87th Precinct as written by Hunter S. Thompson."

Unknown said...

I wish I'd said that. And I probably will, when you're not around.

Anonymous said...

And I'm sure you thought of Fat Ollie writing his book when Brant was hawking his. Great series.

Unknown said...

I think Brant is the Fat Ollie analog in a way. Falls has gotta be Bert Klinger.

Unknown said...

Ken's Brant novels are the reason I get up in the morning. Seriously. I wish he could write them faster.

Anonymous said...

I have to join in with the love-fest. I bought the Kate's Mystery Books trade paperback three-in-one Brant set to get the ball rolling. Once I started, I plowed right thru these fine novels. Well done, Mr. Bruen.

Victor Gischler

Peter Rozovsky said...

Hey, Bill. I've just read Calibre after having read the first five Brant and Roberts novels a while back. I called the books Ed McBain on speed.

One slight difference it this one might lie in the one of the quotations with which Bruen heads his chapters. Read all about it at http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/2007/04/ken-bruen-likes-karin-fossum.html.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment and the link to that excellent review.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Ken Bruen offers a special gift to his fans: He comes closer than does any other author to writing novels faster than his readers can read them.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yet another virtue of writing short books.