Sunday, September 17, 2006

Happy Birthday, Ken Kesey!

Ken Kesey was born on this day in 1935 and died in 2001. He wasn't a prolific novelist, but he did publish one of my favorite books, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I read it first in 1965 and then read it many times after that. I taught it nearly every semester for 12 years at when I was at Howard Payne U., and I'd previously taught it as a graduate assistant at Texas. The graduate assistants had a saying about freshman English: "When all else fails, teach the Cuckoo's Nest." It was the one book that never failed to catch the students' interest and resonate with them.

2 comments:

ami amara said...

Hi Bill, Happy Birthday Ken indeed! Synchronicity or what...? I've been trying to let people know today about my new book... could say a British version of 'One flew over...'. It's actually entitled 'One Flew Under the Cuckoo's Nest' and is available from Lulu. I think the title will ensure Ken Kensey's never forgotten.
Cheers
Ami Amara

Anonymous said...

On my 17th birthday (September 17, 1987) as I was tripping hard on some free birthday LSD a deadhead in the room said it was Ken Kesey's birthday today as well. I asked who that was, and was told. Thats the day I got on the bus.