Sunday, September 17, 2006

Happy Birthday, Ken Kesey!

Ken Kesey was born on this day in 1935 and died in 2001. He wasn't a prolific novelist, but he did publish one of my favorite books, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I read it first in 1965 and then read it many times after that. I taught it nearly every semester for 12 years at when I was at Howard Payne U., and I'd previously taught it as a graduate assistant at Texas. The graduate assistants had a saying about freshman English: "When all else fails, teach the Cuckoo's Nest." It was the one book that never failed to catch the students' interest and resonate with them.


ami amara said...

Hi Bill, Happy Birthday Ken indeed! Synchronicity or what...? I've been trying to let people know today about my new book... could say a British version of 'One flew over...'. It's actually entitled 'One Flew Under the Cuckoo's Nest' and is available from Lulu. I think the title will ensure Ken Kensey's never forgotten.
Ami Amara

PsillyJim said...

On my 17th birthday (September 17, 1987) as I was tripping hard on some free birthday LSD a deadhead in the room said it was Ken Kesey's birthday today as well. I asked who that was, and was told. Thats the day I got on the bus.