Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lights Out (for) Lidge

Last year Brad Lidge was the best closer in the league. This year he's one of the worst. Last year they called him "Lights-Out Lidge." This year they're calling him "Blown-Save Brad." I feel sorry for the guy. How do you go from the penthouse to the outhouse like that? I know not what cause others will choose, but I think it was the monster homer that Pujols hit off him in the play-offs last fall. Lidge says it didn't affect him, and maybe he even believes it. I think it did. Even if it didn't, it affected the other hitters in the league, who saw that Lidge wasn't invincible. Not only that, he was vulnerable. He's never been the same since. And for that matter, neither have the Astros.

7 comments:

Jayme Lynn Blaschke said...

Yeppers, Pujols did him in. If Pujols hadn't done so, then it'd have probably been another power hitter somewhere down the line, but you never know how long Lidge would've been able to stretch it out before that happened.

Kinda makes you wish for Billy Wagner back, don't it?

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm still wishing they'd kept Bob Abreu and traded Richard Hidalgo.

Unknown said...

Believe me, Deadwood was a lot better than the Astros/Cubs game.

I hope you like Jesse's memoir.

Benjie said...

Problem for me is. . . now that I live in the midwest nobody cares about anything but the Cardinals. Astros buddies are too few to come by.

Unknown said...

Time to switch loyalties!

Graham Powell said...

Two words: Mitch Williams. He gave up the World Series-winning homer to Joe Carter in 1993 and was never the same.

Unknown said...

Yeah, and the Astros signed him.