Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Blue Screen -- Robert B. Parker


Sunny Randal is hired to bodyguard a movie actress who has dreams of becoming the first woman to play major league baseball. The next think you know, there's a murder, and the actress wants Sunny on the case.

I'm often said that I'm an unabashed fan of Robert B. Parker's books. I didn't much like Blue Screen, though. In the course of the story Sunny meets Jesse Stone, also the star of a Robert B. Parker series. To no one's surprise, Sunny and Jesse hit it off, and the next thing you know, they're having hot sex in various locations. Somehow I liked Jesse better when he was brooding about his problems and his ex-wife. I didn't want to see him and Sunny get together, but then I'm not writing the books.
The mystery element isn't exactly a knock-out in Blue Screen, either. I had it nailed almost from the beginning, and I never figure things out. I've read that Parker has a YA novel coming in the spring. My disappointment in Blue Screen won't keep me from reading it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I also found SEA CHANGE, the most recent Jesse Stone novel, to be disappointing. Hopefully, the Spenser novel that comes out later this year will be better. I thought the last Spenser, SCHOOL DAYS, was quite good indeed.

Unknown said...

Spenser usually entertains me. For some reason, I just couldn't get into Blue Screen.

Anonymous said...

The next Stone or Randall or Spenser book I read will be...never.

His contempt for his readers is just so apparent that it boggles the mind how he gets away with it.