Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Jesse Stone: Death in Paradise

Judy and I watched Death in Paradise Sunday evening. I think this is the third movie that Tom Selleck has made based on Robert B. Parker's series of novels about Jesse Stone. As usual, Selleck was excellent. Watching the movie, I wished that he'd been cast as Spenser. I think he'd have done a heck of a job.

As the other two movies before it, this one followed the book pretty closely. That's both good and bad, since the plot was pretty thin in the book, and the movie didn't improve on it. There were a couple of narrative glitches that bothered me, too. Overall, I didn't like this one as much as the first two, but when Selleck does another one, I'll be watching.

2 comments:

Brent McKee said...

Selleck has definitely grown into a far better actor than anyone could have suspected when he first appeared in Magnum P.I. when he was all hair and teeth (to quote one description of Tom Baker as Doctor Who. He is versatile, as was seen when he appeared on Friends and later as Dwight Eisenhower, and today he could be very effective in just about any role you could imagine. At the time that "Spenser" came to TV though he was very much typecast as "Magnum" (which was still running whent he Robert Urich series appeared) and it's hard to believe that people would hvae said much beyond "What's Magnum doing in Boston?"

Unknown said...

You're right, Brent. My sense of time is so skewed that I didn't even recall that Selleck was still playing Magnum when the Spenser series aired.