Thursday, February 23, 2006

iBooks Down the Tube

A Writer's Life: "I've heard from several authors with deals at iBooks that the publishing company, which was run by the late Byron Preiss, has declared bankruptcy and is folding. This puts many upcoming releases in doubt and quite a few authors I know are very worried about the status of the rights to their unpublished books (not to mention if they will ever see the royalties on their past titles for the company). It's sad news all around."

I was sorry to read this on Lee Goldberg's blog today, mainly for selfish reasons. On Tuesday I got an e-mail from a Japanese literary agency asking about reprint rights to We'll Always Have Murder, the book I did featuring Humphrey Bogart. No way that deal will ever be made now, I guess.

4 comments:

Lee Goldberg said...

Why? Does the book have to be published by iBooks for the Japanese to do their own edition?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I messed up my first reply. Anyway, the book was published by iBooks and is now, I'm sure, in Bankruptcy Hell.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a clause that says the rights revert to you in case of the publisher's bankruptcy? Of course, you would still have to enforce it somehow.--Karin