Monday, January 02, 2006

Deadville -- Robert F. Jones

Thirty or so years ago I bought a book strictly because of its cover. The book was Blood Sport by Robert F. Jones. I wasn't sure the contents could live up to the cover, but wow. I was bowled over. If you haven't read Blood Sport, you should give it a try. It's a sort of like Hemingway on crack, the ultimate macho surreal fantasy. I went on to read Jones's next novel, The Diamond Bogo, and then I lost track of him. I didn't forget him. I don't think that would be possible. I just didn't keep up with his career. Then, a few years ago, I spotted a couple of his novels on a remainder stack and grabbed them. Now I've finally read one.

Deadville is a western, or a historical novel, or a mountain-man book. Take your pick. It's about two brothers who seek their fortunes in the West in the 1830s. They begin by trapping beaver but soon discover a gold mine. And then things start going bad. After that the book becomes a novel of revenge and reconciliation, and the final battle is worth waiting for. If you're looking for something a little different in the western line, I highly recommend that you give Deadville a try.

2 comments:

Brian W. Barringer said...

I just got done re-reading bloodsport. That is one crazy wild story. I might try to read a few of his other books. thanks

Unknown said...

I agree about Bloodsport. That's a classic.