Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry!

Seventy-nine years old today. I wonder if he can still do that duck walk? One of the greats of my youth. "Maybellene," "School Days," "Sweet Little Sixteen," Roll Over, Beethoven," "Promised Land," "Carol," "Brown-eyed Handsome Man," "Johnny B. Goode," "You Never Can Tell," "Memphis Tennessee," "No Particular Place to Go," "Nadine." And more I can't remember right now. It wouldn't have been the same without him.


Jim Winter said...

Hail! Hail! Rock and roll!

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

He's the granddaddy of Rock 'n' Roll and I love his music. When I fronted a garage band as a youth Johnny B. Goode was my signature song. Oddly enough, just yesterday I was wondering what Chuck was doing these days.

Jeff Meyerson said...

FUnny that you mentioned this, Bill, as "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" has been running through my head for the last few days.

"Milo Venus was a beautiful lass,
She had the world in the palm of her hand,
She lost both her arms in a wrestling match
To win a brown-eyed handsome man,
She fought and won herself
A brown-eyed handsome man."

This just don't write 'em like that any more.