Saturday, July 30, 2005

Starting a Book

In an earlier post, I mentioned that I wasn't bothered at all by the fact that James Reasoner can write a book in a couple of weeks, whereas it's going to take me three months. And I'll be lucky if I can finish even in that length of time. But I forget to mention the reason why I'm not bothered. You see, James is cheating. He's going to be using an outline. I don't have one. All I have is one sentence: "When Sheriff Dan Rhodes opened the back door, the cat was there." It's a sentence that's been rattling around in the back of my mind for a while, so I'm going with it. The problem is, I don't know where I'm going. It's a little scary, if you want to know the truth. Some time later today, I'm going to have to sit down here at the computer and type that sentence onto a blank page and see if anything will follow it. James, meanwhile, will have written three or four chapters. But that doesn't bother me. Not even a little bit. Not at all. Really.


Banjo Jones said...

The terror of the blank page, eh.

Bill said...

Exactly. And of the 350 other blank pages after that one.

Jeff Meyerson said...

Bill, my advice - forget about James and how much it doesn't bother you and think about that stupid cat.

Or about Speedo. I think he could use more than a cameo in this book. Maybe he can chase the cat, or something.