Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Moviegoer

Lee Goldberg had a blog post the other day about how bad the summer movies are, and Jim Winter complains about the prices. Ray Banks takes them gently to task.

As for me, I can only quote one of my favorite novels, Walker Percy's The Moviegoer. Here's what the narrator, Binx Bolling, has to say: "Our neighborhood theater in Gentilly has permanent lettering in front of the marquee reading: Where Happiness Costs so Little. The fact is I am quite happy in a movie. Even a bad movie."

Me, too.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:36 PM

    Lee Goldberg does have a point: the last two good movies he mentions were MILLION DOLLAR BABY and THE INCREDIBLES. I agree. This summer of remakes is a disaster.

    George Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE MOVIEGOER is a great novel, one of my favorites, too. If I could find my copy, I'd quote the line about the Ringo Kid. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff Meyerson1:16 PM

    Bill, I have to agree with Lee Goldberg (& George) here. The movies today suck, big time. Cheap entertainment relatively speaking, maybe, but if it's not entertaining, why bother?

    One newer good movie is a documentary I can highly recommend: Mad Hot Ballroom.

    Otherwise, it was Million Dollar Baby and Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:11 AM

    A.C. Douglas, like me long absent from movie theaters, ventured out the other day to see Batman Begins. The account of his experience (http://www.soundsandfury.com/soundsandfury/cinema/index.html) is enough to keep me away for another decade or two.

    Art Scott

    ReplyDelete