Monday, July 18, 2005

Harry Potter = Big Bucks

HARRY POTTER - ROWLING MAKES 36 MILLION IN A DAY: "HARRY POTTER author JK ROWLING has added another $36 million (GBP20 million) to her fortune - only 24 hours after the sixth book of the boy wizard series went on sale.

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE hit the shelves at one minute past midnight on Saturday (16JUL05) to queues of ecstatic fans, and has already sold two million copies by closing time today (17JUL05)."

I once made $36 in one day.

5 comments:

  1. That can be arranged, Cap'n Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidentally stumbled into one of those Barnes & Noble Harry Potter spectacles last Friday night and while I roamed the store looking for the couple of books I just had to buy, I couldn't help thinking of all the anguish that scene (replayed across the country at countless other stores) would cause any author who also stumbled upon it. Yes, maybe it would translate into a few other sales but looking at the cast of characters waiting for midnight makes me wonder how big the ripple effect will be. Although I have an interest and desire to explore nearly everything I have resisted those books so far. Strangely enough, I have also somehow resisted all the Star Wars movies too. Maybe I have a problem with truly popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:37 PM

    I just finished reading HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE. Once Rowling gets things cranked up--around page 300--the pages just fly. Any author who can get millions of kids (of all ages) to READ is worth every dollar she earns.

    George Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polly, let us speak, then, of arrangements.

    ReplyDelete