Friday, July 15, 2005

Bad Money -- Ed Gorman

Ed Gorman & Friends:: "I've got a new noir western out from Berkley called Bad Money about how one of the deadliest weapons (used by both sides in the Civil War) was counterfeiting. This is about a guy named Dev Mallory who was a Yankee spy who was tasked with two things during the war--overseeing the destruction of Southern train rails and overseeing the passing of millions of dollars in Bad Money. It has the grimmest love story I've ever done and a whole lot of business about how you seduce and then blackmail an engraver at the U.S. Treasury into helping you.

One of the old-timers I always see at a small branch library read it last week and when I walked in the door yesterday he said 'I liked it a lot but when're going to write a REAL western.'"

That's what Ed Gorman says about his new novel. Having read it, I can tell you that it's a fine job. I liked it a lot (and not just because of the dedication, so stop saying that!). Maybe the reason I like Ed's westerns so much is that they aren't REAL westerns. They're different and intriguing, and you never know quite what to expect from them. You need to get to your local bookseller and check this one out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A check for five million dollars in bogus Yankee currency is on its way to you for that plug tonight. Thanks, Bill. I really appreciate. Ed

M said...

Here is my Amazon.com review as a Denverite.

"I was excited to read a western starring a Secret Service agent, not cowboys or Texas Rangers -- especially since it takes place in my city. But the author ignores Denver's history and geography altogether. The story is set in 1887. Denver was founded in 1858, suffered from several natural disasters in the 1860s, and got a railroad spur in 1870. Colorado became a state in 1876, just before a silver boom brought even more wealth to the new capitol. Yet Ed Gorman ignores all this. He only describes a boomtown with sprawling slums where the state capitol now stands!?! The hero, Dev, spends more time remembering his pre-war crimes than following clues to find the counterfeiter's printing press. Worse, every woman in this non-historic story wears jeans instead of dresses with wide bustles!"

I have written the author about these details....