Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Westerner

Ed Gorman mentions The Westerner in this blog post today. I was lucky enough to catch the show he described, and it's a good one. Besides Brian Keith (and the dog), it stars R. G. Armstrong (a favorite of mine) and Dub Taylor. I don't think there was ever a more hardboiled show on TV than The Westerner, but then if Sam Peckinpaugh was writing it, what would you expect. The next episode is May 21 on Encore's Western channel. You can read about it here. If you subscribe to cable and get the Encore channels, check it out.

1 comment:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I've seen an episode or two of this series as well--TVLand used to run it on Saturday afternoons eons ago--and I have to agree with you, it's pretty good stuff. Peckinpah's TV work reminds me of an interview with a director--I want to say Joseph H. Lewis, but I don't think that's right--who talked about Sam's work on The Rifleman, commenting something like "You could always tell which episodes Sam directed because they usually ended up with everybody in town getting shot up. Mine were always about Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford bonding."