Thursday, February 17, 2005

Worst. Idea. Ever.

DenverPost.com - ENTERTAINMENT: "Bugs Bunny and pals get a facelift: Warner Bros. offering 're-imagined' versions of classic cartoon characters"

I read about this at Something Old, Nothing New, and I share Jaime Weinman's rage. This is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. In fact, I'd better stop writing this before I being spluttering incoherently like Daffy Duck.

UPDATE: Mark Evanier, the voice of reason at News from Me, seems to think we should prejudge this idea, that it could turn out to be wonderful. But I still think it sucks.

5 comments:

ShellyS said...

I think the idea stinks, too. Daffy Duck is my all-time fav cartoon character and I don't want him ever to change.

Anonymous said...

My mom told me about this horrid plan the other day. I'd hoped it was some sort of vile rumor, but apparently not. The original Warner Bros. cartoons were beautiful examples of comedic writing -- multi-layered for the enjoyment of the youngest of children and the oldest of adults. I am saddened that some idiot would dare to tamper with Chuck Jones' and Mel Blanc's classics.

I am not surprised, however. I mean, look at what they've done to Walt Disney's dream . . .

P.S. -- I don't know if you remember me (heaven knows how many students passed through ACC's halls during your career there), but I was V.P. and Pres. of the Writer's Club during '82-'83 and '83-'84, respectively. I hung out at Gilbert Benton's office quite a bit (as did most of us writing geeks . . .)

It's great, the success you've achieved with your writing -- you take up almost an entire shelf at the Lake Jackson Library!

Unknown said...

Hey, Laura. Glad to hear from you. Of course I remember you, and all the other members of the T.C.O.C.

Anonymous said...

Well, just to give you the update: I'm on Chapter 24 of "Murder is an Art" and I'm really enjoying it! Your description of Jorge cracks me up -- I imagined the mobster guy from "Kindergarten Cop" for some reason! I guess the suits and pony-tail, high-pitched voice and all.

If you happen to see G.B., please give him my regards!

Unknown said...

I see G. B. every now and then. I'll be sure to give him an update.