Sunday, February 20, 2005

Barbara Burnett Smith -- RIP

In a post to DorothyL today, Patsy Asher, of San Antonio's Remember the Alibi, says that Barbara Burnett Smith died in an accident in San Antonio Saturday night. Barbara and her husband there to rescue a dog, and when they visited Remember the Alibi, the dog ran from their car and into the street. It was raining and dark, and apparently Barbara stepped into the street to catch the dog. She was hit by a car and died in the hospital.

I'm still in shock over this. I've known Barbara for at least 15 years, and she was one of the nicest people you'd ever hope to meet. She was lovely and perky and a very talented writer. She was also the former daughter-in-law of another fine mystery writer, Thomas B. Dewey, whom she credited with helping her quite a bit when she was starting out.

I don't really have much more to say, except that the world is a poorer place without Barbara in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the info, Bill, but that's damn depressing. You're right, the world is a poorer place.

Steve Stilwell

James Reasoner said...

This is terrible news. I always enjoyed talking to Barbara at conventions.

Sue Seibert said...

I am shocked. I read Barbara for the first time this past week, and her book, Bead on Trouble, inspired me to take up my fiction writing once again. I just got on the net after a trip to East Texas to discover the sad news of her death. She was a true Texas gem! May she rest in peace.