Thursday, January 13, 2005

I Married a Witch

Thrilling Days of Yesteryear : "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be." -- Peter DeVries

Once again Ivan over at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear has mentioned a movie that has a special significance for me. I Married a Witch is the first movie I ever saw on TV. I don't know how old I was at the time, probably nine or ten, but I do know that we didn't have TV at my house. We were visiting my aunt in San Antonio, Texas, where she shared a small apartment with a friend. I don't remember the sleeping arrangements except that I, as the kid, had to sleep in the living room on the couch. Which meant that I got to watch TV after everyone else was in bed. And the late movie that night was I MARRIED A WITCH. I thought it was great, and I fell instantly in love with Veronica Lake, an infatuation that's stood the test of time. I recall a couple of her scenes in the movie better than anything I've seen in the last month or so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Ed Gorman--
I Married A Witch is one of those great Hwood confections that hold up under repeated viewings. And I think I know why, at least for people our age. When we were young, say up to twelve or so, the movies of the day often depicted the world not as it was but as we hoped it would be when we grew up. All those glamorous, ridiculously romantic, larky cinematic daydreams gave us hope that there would be a Veronica Lake for each of us. They were so well done--some of the most elegant and enchanting frauds ever perpetrated on a willing public--that we can still escape into their charms today.