Friday, August 23, 2002

August 23, 2002: OK, it's official. Any way you look at it, I'm retired. Yesterday was the last day of the summer semester, and registration for the fall begins on Monday. I was employed through the end of the summer. So now it's over. After going to school every fall since 1947, I'll be staying at home on Monday. As the '60s saying went, today is the first day of the rest of my life.

So how am I spending it? Other than writing this, I went to the grocery store (seedless watermelon, Olathe sweet corn, lettuce, green beans, potatoes, balsamic vinegar, raspberries, blueberries, mushrooms, peanuts, Pepsi One). And later on Judy and I will be going to see My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Her choice, not mine. I'd probably pick something with explosions. But who's to say there won't be an explosion in this one? We can only hope.

Actually, I won't be staying at home on Monday. The group I occasionally pick and sing with, called The G-Strings, or sometimes Bill Benton Bill Benton, will be performing Wednesday at the college's in-service workshop. I've been made an emeritus member of the group, so maybe I'll practice with them on Monday afternoon.

No comments: